Ministry of Basic Education/Ministry of Secondary Education
The general objective of the consultation is to carry out an exhaustive study for the implementation of basic education in the Cameroonian education system. The study should address all the dimensions of this issue and define a plan of action leading to the implementation of the reform in question. For each of the points raised, it should consider the duality of the Cameroonian education system (English/French speaking):
- Clarify the concept of fundamental teaching to give a clear and unambiguous understanding of it. Current international experiences can be mentioned.
- To define the institutional framework of basic education. It will be a question of gratuity (for families) and its financing, the level of application of this gratuity (total, partial, i.e. limited to the primary cycle?). The institutional framework will also have to specify its duration, the possible cycles of study (basic 1 and basic II).
- Propose a brief diagnostic analysis of the current education system from the perspective of basic education to identify strengths and weaknesses, in order to highlight the adjustments needed to the current system for the establishment of basic education in Cameroon.
- Highlight the challenges, opportunities and risks of the introduction of basic education in relation to the country’s economic and social development prospects.
- To define the possible contours of basic education by describing the organization of its administration, the school network (school continuum or different frameworks, i.e. in basic education on the one hand and secondary education on the other hand) with the implications on the primary school leaving examination and the entrance examination for the 6’m. /1′” year. The same applies to the schooling profiles as well as to the pace of its implementation;
- Decline its implications at the budgetary, economic and financial levels.
- Decline its implications on the pedagogical level by defining the skills to be developed by the students and the diplomas which will sanction the end of the cycles and/or the end of the studies.
- In the same way, the question of teachers with regard to their status and their initial training will be addressed. The revision of curricula will also have to be addressed, necessarily involving the disciplines to be taught and the contents of the teaching and the goals to be achieved.
- Clearly define the mechanisms and flow management tools and evaluate the overall budget for the implementation of basic education in Cameroon.
- To define the implications in the reorganization of the governmental and administrative architecture and implementation framework of basic education in Cameroon.
- Establish a timetable for the implementation of the reform.
- Inception report.
- Benchmark of basic education in similar countries.
- Diagnosis of the current basic education system in the perspective of reform: challenges, opportunities and risks associated with implementation.
- Major options proposed for the implementation of basic education.
- Pedagogical, socio-economic, financial and organizational implications.
- Definition of the mechanisms and tools for flow management to be implemented.
- Organization of the administration of basic education.
- Impacts on examinations.
- General organization of schooling.
- Schooling profiles.
- Curriculum reform.
- Teaching policies including the training of trainers (versatility of secondary school teachers).
- Management of flows, tools and mechanisms.
- Pedagogical choices, contents and purposes.
- Rhythm of expansion of basic education.
- Budgetary aspects of the reform (budgetary simulations).
- Road map for implementation.