Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning
The EU is supporting the Nigerian electoral cycle through the Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria (EU-SDGN) program. This program, with a total budget of €26.5 million, was formulated in close consultation with Nigerian stakeholders and development partners, and has five components providing specific support to the EMB, the legislature, political parties, the media and marginalized groups. There are thirteen projects (individual contracts) implementing various aspects of this program, which began in June 2017 and ends in May 2022.
The main objectives of this evaluation are to provide the competent services of the European Union, interested stakeholders and the general public with:
- An overall independent evaluation of the performance of the EU Democratic Governance Support Program, paying particular attention to its intermediate results measured against its intended objectives; and the reasons behind these results; examining the results achieved against objectives, the impact of the project (overall and by beneficiary), and the impact of the project on horizontal aspects such as human resource management, training, strategic planning, internal control and leadership. To this end, the evaluation mission will reflect on the completion status of the program, assess its relevance to the desired impact,
- key lessons learned, conclusions, and related recommendations to improve current and future actions.
- The evaluation also focused on the effectiveness of the modality of implementation of the action, and will provide recommendations on the modality to adopt for future actions.
The overall objective of the program “EU Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria (EU-SDGN’) is to contribute to the strengthening of democracy in Nigeria through the establishment of strong, effective and legitimate democratic institutions, the program is anchored in the priorities of the Nigerian government and the recommendations of the European Union Election Observation Mission on the 2015 General Elections and the Expert Identification and Formulation Mission to Nigeria.
The action corresponds to specific objective 2 of the third focal sector (Rule of Law, Governance and Democracy) of the 11th EU-Nigeria EDF National Indicative Program (NIP), namely “to contribute to measures aimed at improving economic governance, consolidating the rule of law and strengthening peace and security in Nigeria”.
The project is structured around five components to achieve the following specific objectives:
- SO1 – Specific Objective 1: Improved quality of electoral administration in Nigeria
- SO2 – Specific objective 2: The National Assembly performs its legislative function effectively in accordance with democratic principles and standards.
- SO3 – Specific objective 3: Pluralism, tolerance, internal democracy and equal opportunities of political parties and the political party system are strengthened.
- SO4 – Specific objective 4: The media, including radio and social media, ensure fair, accurate and ethical coverage of the electoral process.
- SO5 – Specific objective 5: CSOs and relevant agencies contribute to improving the electoral process
Nature of services provided:
- Analysis and evaluation of the context and definition of priority areas:
- Conduct an analytical study of the electoral environment,
- Evaluation of the project implementation method adopted during the first phase of the program.
- Analyse In-depth analysis and evaluation of the problems to be addressed by the electoral support program,
- Capacity assessment of project stakeholders and potential beneficiaries of the recommended financial support,
- Identification of the policy and regulatory environment in which the EMB and other stakeholders operate,
- Identification of a theory of change to support the proposed action, highlighting priority areas for support and analysis of underlying problems. Recommandation des mécanismes de suivi, d’évaluation et d’audit, ainsi que des dispositions de gestion et de coordination,
- Analysis of the coherence of the proposed project with the development policy, sectoral policies and expenditure plans of the partner government,
- Design of the EU response to the Nigerian electoral process by defining clear priorities, specific activities and timelines
- Formulation of the overall objective (impact), specific objectives (results), outputs and indicative budget,
- Formulate in a brief statement the intervention logic/theory of change for the proposed action, drawing on the context analysis and risk assessment to define the key assumptions of the results chain,
- Proposed detailed and justified implementation modalities for the project.
- Suggested indicative implementation period, budget, and to ensure ownership and alignment,
- Drafting of a brief description of the project implementation arrangements (the steering committee arrangement, the role of the EU delegation in the governance of the action, the main counterparts and implementing entities, any project implementation units and their main tasks, etc.).