Ministry of Public Works and Transport
The overall objective
The overall objective of the project is to support the implementation of the new transport strategy through institutional and regulatory reforms, to improve transport safety and security and to increase the quality of services and benefits.
The specific objective of this contract is to support the modernisation of the National Meteorological Office (ONM) in Algeria by providing a technical assistance team (TAT) specialising in the field of meteorology. In close coordination with the beneficiary structures, the support will achieve three main objectives
- The development of a structural and operational diagnosis to identify existing bottlenecks;
- The drafting of a detailed short, medium (to 2020) and long term (to 2025) action plan for the modernisation of the NMO at structural, operational and training levels; and
- Technical support to the ONM in the implementation of two (2) priority actions:
- The development of a vulnerability map of climate and weather risks impacting on transport
- The design of a comprehensive alert and vigilance system that informs users in real time of risks arising from transport operations according to weather conditions, including specific alert and vigilance systems for motorway traffic management, port traffic management and rail traffic management.
Results to be achieved
The contractor shall assist the NMO in ensuring that :
- Result 1 – The NMO has a modern and efficient organisation and management system that enables it to offer quality services, operate efficiently and master the most advanced techniques.
- Result 2 – The NMO consolidates its role in the set of organisations that ensure the safety and security of the transport system, providing effective support to the land, maritime-port and aeronautical sub-sectors with increasingly accurate observations and forecasts.
- Result 3 – The NMO guarantees a quality of service and professional efficiency in support of the transport sector, and for this mission has an efficient, reliable and rapid system for reporting information to the bodies responsible for accident prevention in the transport sector.
Nature of the services provided
- Management diagnosis identifying the existing bottlenecks in the current organisation at central and regional level (the ONM is installed in all the willayas in Algeria with central directorates for each region).
- Development of a draft policy in a participatory approach with a working group set up by the NMO.
- Definition of a detailed and achievable Action Plan in the short, medium (by 2020) and long term (by 2025) for the modernisation of the WNO at the structural, operational and training levels. The Action Plan covers the whole chain of meteorological services: observation, telecommunication, data processing (in real time for weather forecasting and in delayed time for climatology), installation, maintenance and calibration, and research and development.
- Technical support to the NMO in the implementation of priority actions:
- Identification of 28 development projects, creation of working groups in a participatory approach, development and implementation of projects
- Development of a vulnerability map of climate and weather risks impacting on transport, for integration into the national climate change adaptation plan.
- Design and implementation of a global alert and vigilance system that informs users in real time of risks arising from transport operations according to weather conditions, including specific alert and vigilance systems for motorway traffic management, port traffic management and rail traffic management.
- Implementation of communication and visibility actions:
- Creation of a new visual identity and declination
- Development of a commercial and communication strategy
- Development and publication of the NMO website http://www.meteo.dz/
- Organisation of a closing seminar for over 150 participants, organisation of the seminar and speakers. Project presentation leaflet, poster, roll up, photo, video and press conference.